Thursday, October 4, 2012

Burberry Lip Velvet in Military Red No. 310


I'm usually not swayed by packaging Who am I kidding? I'm totally swayed by packaging, and the new Burberry Lip Velvets are just dripping sex.


Nothing sexier than a sleek tube that resists fingerprints

So much so that the Lip Mists and Lip Covers, both similarly packaged and once lauded for exquisite design, look tacky in comparison. Gunmetal, what?

L-R: Lip Velvet, Lip Mist



Regardless (or regrettably so), I can't just put down $30 on every good looking lipstick I see, so what's in it kind of matters. After swatching the entire line, I decided to test the formula with Military Red No. 310. As you know, I already have a veritable collection of red lipsticks that I'm likely never able to use up in my life time, but there's something ridiculous about the vibrancy of this color that made me have to have it.

I know it's way too early to bust out earmuffs, but it's the only thing I have in my wardrobe that matched such a red. The photo shoot turned out to be absolute fun because of it - believe me, much prancing was involved.

(By the way, props are totally a new feature on Messy Wands.)







Earmuffs are from Kate Spade New York, purchased two years ago

The formula is moisturizing and not altogether matte (that seems to be the case when a brand calls a product "velvet") because there is a slight sheen when applied to the lips. The lipstick is non-staining, but it will stay on your lips until you apply some sort of remover to it. I wore it for five hours without feathering or bleeding (and took it off only because it was the end of the day). As for the color, my lips looked like Christmas.

Ingredient List:

Burberry Lip Velvet in Military Red No. 310 retails for $30 and is now available at Nordstrom. I purchased mine from Saks Fifth Avenue New York.


Shop the Products:
· Skin: Mistura 6-in-1 Beauty Solution*, Le Métier de Beauté Peau Vierge Correcteur in Frais/Cool, RMS Beauty Living Luminizer
· Lips: Le Métier de Beauté Dualistic Lip Pencil in RoseBurberry Lip Velvet in Military Red No. 310

The product(s) marked with * was provided by the company for editorial consideration

40 comments:

  1. That packaging is so gorgeous it made me go back and look at all the swatches, but I hate the Burberry lipstick smell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I love the lipstick. Wow vibrant!
    2. You look so cozy with the sweater and earmuffs. You're so cute!
    3. I must try this line.

    P.S. AHMAHGAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello-This looks gorgeous on you. I have high hopes for these matte velvets as my last matte lip colour I purchased from Hourglass was a disappointment.All I have to do now is choose just ONE colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost got No.311 as well, but Chanel Rouge Noir distracted me.

      Delete
  4. I NEED some Burberry in my life VERY soon!!! This one is SO gorgeous on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!
    Does this have a lot of slip?
    xxkarima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. It's easy to apply (no tugging or pulling) but it doesn't swim around the lips.

      Delete
  6. <3 your smile and the colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when you smile, Wandz! :D And I love this colour and the sexiness of the tube. I really should go revisit Burberry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but teeth yellow!

      Yes! We had the same reservations (and I can never look at a Lip Cover the same way again) but the velvets are worth a swatch at least!

      Delete
    2. We seem to be cursed with yellow teeth >.< I'm the same :(

      Delete
  8. Love the photos, looks so fun! The color looks great on you :) btw I LOVE the frequency with which you're posting now! So many amazing products!

    What's that sound, you say? Oh, just my wallet sobbing quietly in the corner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frequency actually never really changed :P I've always tried to do 4-5 posts a week. Thanks for the kind words though!

      /strokes wallet

      Delete
  9. That last photo of you is so damn beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great and I love that color! I need to count out my collection of reds and give them their own private storage space. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeeee you are so pretty! And I like props. PROPS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, now I know what I want from Burberry next time I visit their counter! Gorgeous! And the velvet finish is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those earmuffs are adorable! And that lipstick is gorgeous, I love the finish of it. It looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, MW! Love this red shade. In fact, I have saved to favorites your swatches of the entire Burberry Long-wear line! I think they are the most beautiful lip colors ever! I want them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. God I love Burberry packaging...Your photos looks amazing... The vibrant red is so festive - esp next to your ear muffs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you created a new lemming for me or what? I do not need another red lipstick, I do not need another red lipstick, I do not need.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't need another either... (PS see tomorrow's post!)

      Delete
  17. Do they smell/taste the same as lip covers?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I picked up two of these today! #302 and #308, Peony Rose and Pink Azalea. I love them to pieces. My one quibble is that while the packaging *looks* gorgeous, it *feels* a bit lighter and almost flimsier than the standard Lip Cover packaging. Is that just me? Hm. *holds one of each in each hand* I may be wrong. They feel the same when I do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's because one looks more "metal" than the other? They feel the same to me, though.

      Delete
  19. Gah. The photos in this post! <3 <3

    (P.S. Happy early Christmas, my dear. :P )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god. This lipstick looks so...delicious! Love your pictures =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, YES! Loving the new white background, the graph paper and of course the gorgeous new lighting and photos. The packaging for these is just gorgeous: I'm a sucker for Burberry's aesthetic, its lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Lord, Messy! I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE! Ordering now, I'm not even kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If Burberry had orange red in this formula, I would be all over it like there is no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have yet to try Burberry lipsticks, but this one looks gorgeous on you! I love the pop of accessory - ear muffs! So cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The AWESOMENESS. Love your eyes too!

    I have some similar reds but I do not dare to wear them at work, so...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, lovelies. Due to excessive spam, I would appreciate it if you refrain from including self-promoting links in your comments! This ensures that your comment will be visible and keeps the section clean. I look forward to hearing from you!